Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day 26 - Where in the World?

The Deaf Community and Bible Translation

Absolutely fascinating.

That’s all I can say about my tiny bit of research for today’s blog. Have you ever thought about how the deaf communities of the world fit into the grand scheme of Bible translation? If you are like I was, you probably never have.

This was my thought, and maybe it’s yours, too. Can’t deaf people around the world read the Bible translations just like you and I? Shouldn’t the translations that we help to complete be sufficient for their need as well?

The short answer: no.

Did you know that a specific sign language is actually a deaf person’s heart language? The heart language (as I’m sure you’ve heard us talk about) is the mother tongue, the language of a person’s deep understanding, the language that a person dreams in. I always thought that a deaf person “spoke” in sign language that was purely English.


Then I thought that maybe sign language could be universal. It would make sense, right?

Wrong.

Think about how you learned to read. Do you just memorize words purely by sight? How do the letters fit together and make sense in your mind? Having a two year old, I know that the way she learns her alphabet is through sound first. She will eventually put the visual of a letter to match the sound that she already makes.


This rocked my world today.

You may laugh, but I am so excited about it! Right now, around 200 sign languages have been assessed and surveyed to find potential Bible translation needs. The number may end up being closer to 400 more sign languages in the next few years!

You may ask “how does one ‘write’ a sign language Bible?” Good question. Several methods have been used, from drawing the hand signals to recording video of a person signing. But this is the coolest thing ever.

Check it out.

There is a team of people right now working on...get this...an animated Bible for sign languages.

No joke.

People who are trained and knowledgeable in actual animation (2D or 3D) are trying to make a system whereby the Bible or Bible stories can be translated into the sign language of deaf communities in the world.

And it makes sense, too.

When working with national translators, or the native deaf people, you never know how long of a commitment you will get. If you are making a video translation and someone is unable to continue the project, it can be very distracting to have different people with different movements in the final version. Not to mention the delays in production and time consuming editing.

Okay, enough from me...I’m not the expert. Check out these two places to learn more and be blown away like I was.

For a fascinating interview with a Wycliffe couple involved in the animated Bible project, go here.

For a story about the work that Wycliffe does in deaf communities, go there.

Trevor

3 comments:

The Traveling Schuhs said...

Good work, hubby:) I loved this post. Your insight always reminds me how thankful I am to be your wife.


Sarah

Justin Randolph said...

same here, man.

So Much To See said...

Thanks for your post. I am a teacher for the Deaf in Oregon. I was just looking at the Wycliffe website to for a list of opportunities (short or long term) for working with signed language translations around the world. Maybe you can point me in the right direction? I am praying for the right opportunity to serve in a new way. My people group is the Deaf community and I have served, and continue to serve, here. But my heart has always longed for an out-of-my-current-world missions experience.
Thanks and may God continue to bless!
Debbie