Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 10 - Mugshots

Trevor

For those of you who don’t know us well or would like to get to know us better, every Monday we’ll be giving you a snapshot of our family. Since we’re asking you to partner with us and pray with us, we thought it would be good for you to get to know us on a personal level. Today, you get me.

Quick Facts -

Name: Trevor Jonathan Schuh
Birthday: 9-11-84 (yes, 9/11 was on my seventeenth birthday)
Hometown: Plymouth, Wisconsin
High School: Homeschool and Sheboygan County Christian High School

Favorites -

Color: Probably blue, but it depends on my mood
Ice Cream: Ice Cream Sandwich Ice Cream (trust me, you’re missing out)
Sports: Tennis and Volleyball (to play, that is)
Composers: Ravel and Albeniz (I’m a musician...it’s not a weird question!)
Books: Anything by Mark Driscoll, Ted Dekker, or Donald Miller

Now I’ll ask myself a few questions so that you can get to know me better. Don’t worry, I talk to myself all the time!

How did you get interested in world missions?

My home church growing up (Plymouth Alliance) instilled in me from a very early age that missions was a normal part of my faith. Looking back on it, my pastor, John Kitchen, was very intent on making sure that the church was actively involved in giving to, praying for, and going to the overseas mission field. He, along with many other passionate people in the church (I don’t have room to list all of them!), greatly influenced my decision as a nine-year-old to go anywhere and do anything that God wanted me to do. And the rest is history!

When did you learn about Wycliffe Bible Translators?

In high school, my Spanish teacher (Sam Gesch) was a Wycliffe MK who grew up in Peru. I didn’t have a clue what it meant to be a linguist before that, but I knew that linguistics oozed out of him! I suppose it was more of an explosion...he was (and is) passionate about bringing God’s Word into other people’s heart language. But I never thought about heading into Wycliffe until college. Sarah and I took a Cultural Anthropology class together, and discovered that we both had a natural talent for learning languages (her much more than me!). Our professor (Dr. Parr) told us to think strongly about going into Translation someday, but we were both just about done with our music degrees and didn’t sense God’s calling at that specific time. In 2007, we started to feel that God was leading us to get involved with Wycliffe, so we started the application process.

How do you feel about being a daddy?

Those of you who have known me for any amount of time know that I have always wanted to be a dad. My sister’s were taking bets on how soon we would have kids when we got married, and now I have two gorgeous girls that call me “daddy”. Well, one calls me daddy...the other one just grunts at me happily. I love every minute I’ve been given with these kiddos, even at 3 in the morning on the off chance that I wake up when they need something!

Last question...what do you enjoy about your job right now?

Well, other than being with my family, I love that my job is basically to reconnect the church (the whole body of Christ) with the Great Commission. We are all called to “make disciples” and to be God’s instruments in the world. My job right now is to tell people about how God is moving throughout the world by bringing the Bible to every person’s heart language that still needs it. I look forward to my role as Assistant to the President for Special Projects, but right now my heart is with you. My team. My friends and family. My partners in this crazy adventure we call life.

Thanks for coming with!

Oh, and if you have Facebook, I’m putting a quiz up today about myself. Just for fun. See how well you think you know me!

4 comments:

Ruth Hubbard said...

In case I've not said this before, I'm LOVING your blog postings! Thank you.

Then...I can't wait to have you here to discuss Ted Dekker. I read the Circle Trilogy this spring while traveling -- a most extraordianry experience.

And finally, like it or not, at least you'll have greater understanding than some of my friends and colleagues when I say that I'm presently listening to Rutter's Requiem. Oh my.

Joel and Leah said...

Hey Trevor and Sarah:

Just visited your blog for the first time, and found out how the Lord is leading you these days. I was thrilled to read of your desires, thanks for letting us get a glimpse of the desires the Lord has given you. You have such a precious family...please keep us updated. You both are so gifted; I feel certain that our Heavenly Father is going to continue to use you both and your sweet family in a wonderful way!

danbuller said...

Cute picture with the kids!

Ruth Harms said...

Hi Trevor & Sarah
Thanks for giving us such an interesting, yet timely details and pictures, to help us in praying for you. It is great to learn more about your ministry also.