Monday, November 9, 2009

Running Schuhs for the Rutara

So we're training for a marathon. The title of this post is shameless, I know.

Before you start thinking that I'm speaking metaphorically about life being a marathon, Trevor and I are physically running and training to run a marathon.

Why?...you might ask.

It just so happens that I can translate the Bible while running a marathon. You had no idea, did you?

According to The Seed Company (a Wycliffe subsidiary), it takes (on average) $26 to translate one verse of the Bible. According to runners, it takes (on average) 26 miles to run a marathon. How handy.

Team OneVerse (an initiative of The Seed Company) aims to join a passion for running with a passion for translating the Bible. Trevor and I signed up to join Team OneVerse earlier this year so that we could have a hand in directly bringing God's Word to a specific people group. It's one way we felt we could "be overseas" while the Lord has placed us stateside.

As we prepare and train for this marathon (at Disney World on January 10th), we raise money that will go directly to the translation project in progress for the Rutara people of South Asia. You could liken it to people running for other charity organizations like Team in Training, Run for the Cure, Walk for Life, etc. People (maybe even you!) sponsor us as we run the marathon.

You'll be hearing more about this in weeks to come, but for now, you can check out Team OneVerse's website by clicking here.

Now for a few (okay, it's a lot...but they're fun) pictures! I wanted to post these last week, but better late than never! These were taken during last week when Trevor's parents came to spend the week with our girls while we were at a leadership training week at Wycliffe.

Grandma, Buppa, and the girls had a blast playing with the birds.

Off to the pool at the resort...take note of Acacia's attire.

Okay, I just love this picture. So I added it!

Grandma's photo session: CHEESE!

I'm so embarrassed.

Getting into position....

...Got 'er good! Point for ME!

Need I say more?


Thank you, Grandma and Buppa!

3 comments:

Chris Winkler said...

The Disney marathon is great--have fun! (Note that I say this not out of experience, but out of having watched it a few times. Christie and I have volunteered twice at it...all volunteers get a free one-day, one-park pass for each four-hour shift they work.) But really, it is probably the most well-organized road race I've ever been a part of.

The Traveling Schuhs said...

Awesome...that is great to know! Thanks for the insight. Praying for you guys and we look forward to possibly seeing you soon!

Aunt Deb said...

Great post.... I especially love the pics and why didn't I see that flower and lady bug at my front door???! I so wish we could be here for our big marathon day. :(