Thursday, August 13, 2009

Reality Check

We’ve had a lot of people lately asking us how we’re doing. Basically, “What is your emotional and spiritual state?”

I truly wish I could say that I have been totally at peace, resting in the Father 100% of the time (there’s that silly percent sign again...). That all is well, God is in control, and I’m standing steadfast in faith. Don’t get me wrong, that is in fact where I have been on many an occasion during this journey of faith so far.

But I’ll be honest.

There are days when it’s a struggle. There are days when I want to shout, “God, WHAT ARE YOU DOING???” There are days when I want to know what the future holds, that my attitude just plain stinks, and my faith is weaker than I want to admit.

Here’s a glimpse into what God spoke to my heart last night.

“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell Me, if you have understanding.
Who set its measurements?
Since you know.
Or who stretched the line on it?
On what were its bases sunk?
Or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
Have you ever in your life commanded the morning, and caused the dawn to know its place...” (Job 38)

Let’s just say that I got a little reality check.

How easy it is to get into the mindset that I somehow know what’s best for me and my family. How selfish and prideful I am when I want to weep or scream about the fact that we aren’t where I think we should be right now. How ungrateful I am when I think that I somehow need more of this or that (stability, control, whatever it is that’s got me reeling) in order to make me satisfied.

God knows what He’s doing.

He’s got it under control.

We’ve cried out to the Lord, we’ve talked to people, we’ve tried to make this thing happen.

And so far, He’s said, “Not yet.”

Doesn’t mean things won’t come through tomorrow and we’ll be cleared to start. Doesn’t mean we sit idly by.

But it does mean that we can rest. It does mean that I can be at peace.

Sometimes I “get it”. Sometimes I so quickly forget God’s faithfulness.

So that’s where I’m at. If you’re wondering, that’s how you can pray for us. We are learning to rest in our Great God who commands the morning and causes the dawn to know its place.

May we all learn to trust Him more. Praise God for His patience and His lovingkindness.

Sarah

4 comments:

Unknown said...

"But it does mean that we can rest. It does mean that I can be at peace." That is the beauty of God in our lives and thanks for sharing how He is working that in you lovely Schuhs :)The process is hard as we take hold of that and it slips away when we journey on. I'm praising Him alongside you for His lovingkindness. We know He'll get you here exactly when you need to be here and we're with you in prayer all the way. Much love and many blessings!

Justin Randolph said...

just wanted to say thanks for being open and transparent on your blog. it gives us a look inside your hearts and see the realities of life. we appreciate you being real and genuine and sharing your struggles and concerns. let us know that it's normal and we're not the only ones who feel that way! praying for you. miss you lots. let's skype soon!

Mollie. :) said...

You said "bobble" instead of "bible". I am disappointed in your total abandonment of your Wisconsin accent.

Mom said...

Thanks for sharing your hearts. We love you and are praying God will continue to provide everything you need to serve Him each and every day! Joshua 1:9