Sunday, June 28, 2009

Day 2 - Selah

If you think about it, Sunday is a pretty incredible day. All over the world, people gather together every week to lift up praises to God. Millions of people singing, praying, teaching, learning nonstop somewhere in some part of God's creation at some point in the day. And when you really dwell on it, when you spend time trying to wrap your mind around the whole time-zone continuum thing, you can start to think that we're doing pretty well in our worship as the church. We're doing enough. We're singing enough. Praying enough. Growing enough. At least I start to think that.

But that's the problem. I start to think about the church. I start to think about you. I start to think about me.

The main passage of Scripture that we are drawn to with Connect 8.6.09 is found in Psalm 86. Aha! That's the connection! Psalm 86.09 (or 8.6.09) says:

"All the nations you have made
will come and worship before you, O Lord;
they will bring glory to your name."

Nothing about me. Nothing about you. It's all about HIM. HE made us. HE made us for HIS glory. And we are to come together (ALL the nations) and worship before HIM.

See, the rest of this chapter talks about David crying out to God.

"To You I cry out all day long."
"Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer; and give heed to the voice of my supplications!"
"I will call upon You, for You will answer me."

David recognizes that he cannot accomplish on his own what he desperately needs to happen. He knows that God is the only one who can lift him out of his pit. God is "slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness and truth."

The thing that I think is really cool is that David thanks God regardless of his current situation. "I will give thanks to You, O Lord my God, with all my heart, and will glorify Your name forever." He expects great things from God. So much that he thanks Him BEFOREHAND!

We need to expect great things from our Creator. I mean, look back at your life. Has He ever NOT done great things to show His power and might eventually? Even if we never see the things that He does directly, we can have CONFIDENCE that He is at work. He wants us to be LOOKING for His hand, not because of what we can gain from it (though I know I'VE gained quite a bit), but because He is always working! Let's open our eyes!

Over 200 million people in the world don't even have the option to go to Scripture in their own language to seek out comfort, restoration, and hope.

Will you spend time today praying that God would raise up His people to bring His word to ALL NATIONS so that we can see the vision that David had come to fruition?

Take some time to rest in His faithfulness and perfect will. The pressure is off of US. We can't do anything for His kingdom without first falling at His feet in worship.

Have a great Sunday!

Trevor

No comments: