I’ve often asked myself the very same question. Trevor and I have had all of our formal training in music up to this point. So why would we switch gears completely to become a part of the task of Bible translation?
Life was pretty comfortable before we began this journey with Wycliffe. And I don’t mean that in a negative way. It was predictable and good. The Lord had blessed us with a home, family nearby, a loving church family, and a stable job which was completely in line with our music and Christian university training. We really couldn’t have asked for more. In the middle of all of it, though, God put this unrest in our hearts, whispering quietly in each of our hearts that He had something else planned for our family. Basically, He said to us, “Better not get too comfortable. Watch what I’m gonna do.”
When He showed us that we were to pursue getting involved in Bible translation, I thought to myself, “But God, where does music fit into all of this? Was this training and love for music all for naught?” Over time, He has taught me that He does not let anything in our lives go to waste. While music will no longer be our main “profession”, it will always shape who we are and how we function in this ministry, whether directly or indirectly. To be honest, it has me sitting on the edge of my seat to see how He’s going to bring this all together, cause I know that He’s got something planned.
God’s like that, you know...He’s always got something up His sleeve. I wouldn’t trade the journey we’re on for anything, cause I’ve come to know God more deeply. Sometimes He has to pull us out of “normal” to get us to listen more intently.
What is God asking you to do that seems crazy to your own ears? That simply doesn’t make sense to your human mind? Don’t write it off. You may think your whole life is mapped out and it “makes sense”. Be careful, God may ask you to shift gears. He may not, but you certainly don’t want to miss all that He has for you.
“The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs His steps.” Proverbs 16:9
Want to get involved in Bible translation? Click here to see a list of the opportunities that are available.
Sarah
1 comment:
Thank you for sharing this bit of yourselves. You've re-inspired me to life that is often white-knuckled and occasionally unpredictable, but always good because God is in the midst of it all. Besides that, you've presented it all in a form that is not only easily accessible (I love how blogs can work for us if we let them) and lovely. A sheer delight to journey with you these 40 days -- with confidence that we have many more days of journeying together in the future.
Post a Comment